Water Damage and Where It Can Hide in Your Home | SERVPRO® of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties
Think you may have water damage in your home? Here are some tips from SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties to find the source.
Water can create some pretty big disasters inside your home, especially when it plays a game of hide and seek. When a leak goes undetected long-term, it can damage your walls, floor and lead to mold growth that wreaks even more havoc.
The good news is you can get to know the areas of your home that are most prone to water damage, especially the kind that likes to hide out. When you familiarize yourself with these spots, you can take action to prevent issues, or stop them fast when they do start.
These three spots are some of the most common areas for water damage. Add maintaining them regularly to your to-do list and protect your home from total disasters.
The roof. Living in this part of Alabama has taught us all the importance of caring for our roofs. We know to keep an eye on them after a windy storm blows through, but leaks can start slow and small and can be hard to detect.
Make a point to get on your roof every spring and fall and check for soft spots or other areas of excess moisture. Keep your gutters cleaned out as well to avoid overflow when a heavy rain falls.
During the year, visit your attic space often to check for musty odors or damp insulation. Even if you have a large attic area, a space that generally stays dark make a great home for mold growth that can spread fast and leave behind a lot of damage in its wake.
The bathroom. This might feel like an obvious one, but leaks can actually hide out pretty well in a room that already sees so much water use.
Check under your sink weekly, or at least once a month, for standing water or excessive moisture. Feel around the base of your toilets and tub when you clean to make sure there is no water, and keep your caulking in good shape as needed.
If your bathroom always feel damp or your drains run slowly, you may need to add ventilation in order to prevent water and mold damage.
Appliances. Appliances that have water features are convenient, but they also come with a leak risk. These large items can have small leaks that drip for a long time unnoticed, as they most commonly occur behind or underneath the appliance.
Pull large appliances like your refrigerator, washing machine and dishwasher away from the wall at least once a year for cleaning. Check behind and underneath them for mold growth or standing water. Inspect the hoses for holes or kinks.
Always stay nearby when these appliances are in use to listen for slow moving drainage or dripping water. While everything in your home has varying life spans, consider replacing appliances that are more than 10 years old to prevent problems from ever occurring.
When you do find water damage, call us at SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph County. We have the tools and knowledge to take care of your home fast so you can get back to doing life.
Dealing with a water emergency? Our SERVPRO specialists can be on the scene of the disaster ASAP to restore your water-damaged home!
Restoration From the Trained Team You Need | SERVPRO® of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties
Is your home or business in need of restoration? SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties is ready to help you recover.around the clock.
Decisions for your home affect so many things: your comfort, your safety and security…it would be easy to make a very long list. While some decisions might come easily, like what color dishwasher you should get, others can feel incredibly difficult to make.
Imagine your home is damaged in a flood, or something catches on fire in the kitchen. You know that a fast response is crucial to saving as much of your property as possible, but you also need to choose a restoration team that is well trained and fully certified to ensure that everything is put back together correctly.
When you choose to work with SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties, you are getting a company that can handle your project from start to finish. Our team utilizes the most advanced techniques and has the certifications you know you can trust.
We Adhere to Industry Trainings
At SERVPRO, everything we do must meet a set of industry standards called the IICRC standards. Our staff must follow the training and guidelines laid out by these standards every time they tackle a cleaning or restoration project, which includes but is not limited to:
Along with meeting these top-of-the-line industry standards when we work, we also offer our staff Employee Certification Training to ensure they are fully set up to complete every project successfully. This training is self-paced, which not only allows our team to fit it into their busy schedules, it also means they can take the time to absorb every bit of material presented.
We Never Stop Learning
Our employee training is so crucial to our mission that we start from the moment someone is hired. Once the onboarding training has been completed, our crew has the opportunity to engage in e-learning or continued education courses. We make it easy for our team to hone their skills and never stop learning.
Just as we are dedicated to ensuring the best trained employees, we also want to make sure that we have industry-leading tools. We are your neighbors, and we want to ensure that any family affected by any size disaster can recover quickly and completely.
Staying on top of the latest information means we can change our procedures and processes so we are always using the best resources available. Technology plays a big role in our business, and as it changes an improves so to should our knowledge, equipment and materials.
Why This Matters for You
The benefit of having a fully certified and highly trained restoration company right around the corner from your home can’t be understated! We are available 24/7 to respond to your emergency and get recovery started fast. We will walk alongside you through the entire process, and won’t leave your side until you are completely happy.
Working with a company that can only complete part of your restoration or isn’t certified could leave you dealing with a longer than necessary process and repairs that simply aren’t up to par. When you work with SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties, you can rest assured your home is in the best hands.
When you need help recovering from a disaster, SERVPRO is here for you. Get in touch 24/7 to start your disaster recovery.
SERVPRO Is Faster To Any Size Disaster
We are the cleanup team that is faster to any size disaster. This is about flooding and it can happen anywhere. The most common flood hazards in the United states are flash flooding, river flooding, storm surge & coastal inundation from tropical and non-tropical systems, burn scars/debris flows (caused by wildfires), ice/debris jams, snowmelt, dry wash (caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas) & dam breaks/levee failure. SERVPRO can help you with preparing for a flood. Make sure to have a 3+ day supply of water which is one gallon per person per day, for food make sure to have 3+ day supply of non-perishable, easy-to-prepare food, flashlights, battery powered or hand-crank radios, extra batteries, first aid kits, medications and make sure it's a 7 day supply & any other medical items, multi-purpose tool, sanitation/personal hygiene items, copies of personal documents, cell phone chargers, family and emergency contact info, extra cash, emergency blankets, map of your area, baby supplies, pet supplies, tools & supplies for securing your home, extra set of keys or car keys & house keys, extra clothing, rain gear, insect repellent & sunscreen and camera for photos of the damage done. Why choose SERVPRO to help with your flood damage, because we are always here to help make it "Like it never even happened." Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties @ 256-378-1319!
Summer Fire Prevention
Summer weather means Memorial Day cookouts, Fourth of July fireworks, and all sorts of campfire fun as families across the country take advantage of the warm temperatures to get back in touch with nature.
It’s certainly relaxing to enjoy a beach bonfire with friends and loved ones, or roast marshmallows by the lake or in the backyard fire pit, but it’s also important to ensure that everyone stays safe by observing a few simple fire protection guidelines.
1. Keep a bucket of water handy. If an ember floats out of your fire pit, or a log falls down from your bonfire stack and sets nearby foliage, paper, or other flammable materials aflame, you don’t want to be scrambling for a way to put the fire out. Having a bucket of water nearby is a great first response tool to keep a fire under control.
2. Supervise all fireworks. Sparklers and pinwheels might seem “low risk,” but the reality is that there aren’t any fireworks out there that are safe enough for kids to use without adult supervision.
3. Don’t let barbecue grease build up. Whether you’re using a charcoal or a gas grill, it’s important to keep it clean to prevent accidental grease fires caused by all of the gunk that can accumulate on a grill over time.
4. Inspect the area around your BBQ and campfire. You don’t want to grill or light a campfire anywhere near other flammable materials. This includes deck railings, overhanging branches, dry grass or that pile of dry wood and recycling sitting in the back corner of your yard. If you’re camping, clear out the area immediately around your BBQ or campfire spot to be sure that there’s no scrub or brush nearby that could ignite if a spark lands on it.
5. When you’re done with the fun, put out the flames. While it might seem romantic to fall asleep in front of a campfire, you really should dump water and/or sand on those embers before catching some shut-eye. The same goes for BBQs – close your propane valve and the unit’s lid, as well as any vents on a charcoal grill once you’re done. Unsupervised BBQs can easily tip over in the wind. A breeze can pick up and carry coals and embers from that campfire, dropping them where they can ignite dry grass, branches, trees or deck planks.
6. It’s also important to ensure that no one tries to re-light fireworks that don’t work properly the first time. Dump these in a bucket of water and move on to the next package.
And always remember if you do experience a fire in or near your home or business the professional power of SERVPRO is ready to help assist you with any damage that might occur.
Fire, Smoke & Soot, Oh My!
Fire, Smoke & Soot Restoration Services
- Structural Cleaning- After a smoke or fire damage, ceilings walls, woodwork, carpeting and floors will often need a thorough cleaning. Our experienced SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will pretest to determine the extent of damage, then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the different types of surfaces found in your structure. Depending on the amount of soot, your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional may even be able to reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning lighter soot deposits found on some surfaces, eliminating the expense incurred with repainting or refinishing. In other cases, SERVPRO will clean to "prepare for painting." This process deodorizes and ensures the new paint will adhere properly to the surface.
- Contents Cleaning- All of the restorable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies and upholstery. Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals begin by carefully inspecting and testing all fabrics in the structure to determine which cleaning methods are most appropriate. Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can provide wet or dry cleaning services. Additionally, all the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, clothing, bedding, bric-a-brac and much more. Finally, SERVPRO can provide an inventory list of all "to be claimed" items if requested.
- Deodorization- Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals provide specialized services that rid your home or place of business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out the sources of the odor and remove them. If you have questions you can ask our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
Emergency Fire Damage Process Overview
Within one hour from notice of loss, one of our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will contact you to arrange service. You'll know help is on the way!
Within four hours of loss notification, one of our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will be on-site to start mitigation services. The key to reducing damage and saving money is responding quickly to your damage.
One of our trained, uniformed and equipped SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will walk you through the job process step-by-step, explaining what to expect and the anticipated outcome.
Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will begin pretesting for restorability, working from the source of the damage outward.
Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the appropriate person, normally your adjuster or property manager.
CLEANING, RESTORATION & DEODORIZATION:
Our SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over. They will use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure your property is taken care of right the first time.
After the work has been completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT FIRE, SMOKE OR SOOT RESTORATION SERVICES CALL 256-378-1319 AND WE WILL BE GLAD TO HELP!
Fire & Smoke Do's & Don'ts
Fire & Smoke Damage
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or of the HVAC system.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electric shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Preparation Is Key!!
Storms and inclement weather can be devastating to any business. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. There’s never a convenient time for flooding or storm damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (256) 378-1319!
Commercial Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial storm or water damage emergencies. Regardless of your property type or size, we will respond quickly to clean the property and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Learn more about our training and certifications.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties will respond immediately to the storm or flood event affecting your commercial property, regardless of the size or scope of the damage. We are part of a national network of over 1,700 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale events and disasters.
We are proud to be a part of our community and strive to provide the residents and business owners in our area the fastest response times and our best work each and every day.
Back Up Of Sewage In Commercial Properties
Sewage back-ups and toilet overflows are some of the most common issues home and business owners can experience. Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness.
Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. That’s why it is important to call the professionals who have experience cleaning up these types of issues. SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay and Randolph Counties understand that there are three major types of contaminated water and the necessary steps to handle each scenario. SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay and Randolph Counties will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The Three Types of Water
Category 1: Clean Water
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses - may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated.
Category 3: Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
If your home or business experiences a sewage issue, it should be treated as quickly as possible. Call SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay and Randolph Counties at (256)-378-1319 and our professionals will respond 24 hours a day for emergency services.
SERVPRO Can Restore Your Commercial Property
We know that you value the way your commercial property’s appearance looks. We know that it can speak volumes to your clients and customers. Over time, a commercial property becomes dirty from every day wear and tear, or even to an emergency restoration. Here at SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties, we have the training and expertise to tackle these types of situations and we can make it “Like it never even happened." We can handle services such as removing an odor, or deep cleaning the flooring or carpets. You can always depend on us to make your work space look its very best. There is not a commercial property that is too big or too small for SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties. We service all types of properties ranging from hotels, small office building, schools, retail stores, apartments, and many more! Don’t hesitate to call us if you see that your commercial property is not shining quite as bright as you would like it to!
Fire Restoration For Commercial Properties
Fire damage is especially devastating for a business or commercial property. In addition to the fire and smoke damage, significant water damage from firefighting efforts and fire suppression systems may occur. Every hour spent restoring your business back to pre-fire condition is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. If your business experiences a fire loss, call the fire and water damage restoration experts and we’ll respond immediately to get you back to business.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Fire and Water Restoration Industry with over 1,700 Franchises
- Highly Trained Fire and Water Damage Restoration Specialists
This is why SERVPRO of Talladega, Clay & Randolph Counties is the best to call to help with fire restoration. Do not hesitate to call us @ 256-378-1319.